Frequently Asked Questions

How quickly can I get my refund?

If you’ve already e-filed, you can track your refund by signing in.

Can I file my state taxes with Firework Tax Service?

Yes, Firework Tax Service will help you file your state taxes.

Every state is different–each with their own tax laws. In fact, there are some states don’t levy a state income tax at all. But if you live in a state where you have to file a state tax return, Firework Tax Service will let you know and help you get them done right.

Because filing a state return is an entirely separate process from your federal taxes there will be an additional charge.

Can I file tax exempt?
You have to show proof and approval of filing a tax exempt application with the IRS.
Certain classes of persons may be granted a full or partial tax exemption within a system. Common exemptions are for veterans, clergymen or taxpayers with children (who can take “dependency exemption” for each qualifying dependent who has lived with the taxpayer. The dependent can be a natural child, step-child, step-sibling, half-sibling, adopted child, eligible foster child, or grandchild, and is usually under age 19, a full-time student under age 24, or have special needs).

There are organizations who are considered to have 501a or 501(C)(3) status that are tax exempt.
What if I did not have health insurance in 2015?

You will be charged a penalty by IRS.
The annual fee for not having insurance in 2015 is $325 per adult and $162.50 per child (up to $975 for a family), or it’s 2% of your household income above the tax return filing threshold for your filing status – whichever is greater.

Can I claim child support on my taxes?

Child support is tax-free for federal income tax purposes, meaning neither the recipient spouse nor the child owes taxes on it. However, unlike spousal support, child support payments are not tax-deductible by the parent who makes the payments. (Spousal support also known as alimony is tax-deductible for the person who makes the payments and taxable to the recipient.)

If I have a college loan, can I receive a tax deduction or credit?
Yes, you may be eligible.

American Opportunity credit

Students who are pursuing a course of study that will eventually lead to a degree and are in their first four years of school — or those who are paying for their educations — may be eligible to claim the American Opportunity credit. The credit covers the tuition payments you make plus the cost of purchasing the books and supplies you need, as long as you maintain at least half-time status.

Lifetime Learning credit

Students who have already finished their first four years of post-secondary study or who just take a course here and there to improve work skills can qualify for the Lifetime Learning credit. Although the credit covers your tuition and fees, you may not include the cost of books and supplies unless the school requires direct payment for them.

Student loan interest deduction

The tax benefits of your student loan don’t end with these tax credits. A deduction is also available for the interest payments you make when you start repaying your loan. Although the amount you can deduct is limited each year, you can only deduct the interest on student loans you actually use to pay school-related expenses, including your room and board.

I don't have a social security number and worked all year, can I still file taxes?

Apply for an ITIN

If you earn money in the United States but you don’t qualify for a Social Security Number, Firework Tax Service can help you apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (also known as an ITIN, PIN, Tax ID or Taxpayer ID) and file any and all pending tax returns.

Plus, an ITIN application is FREE when we prepare your U.S. federal income tax return.

Do I have to file taxes if I'm self-employed?

If you work for yourself — either full-time or part-time — report your income and expenses. Self-employment income includes income:

  • From side jobs
  • Reported to you on a Form 1099-MISC

Since you’re self-employed:

You can deduct your ordinary and necessary business expenses on Schedule C.

You get Social Security and Medicare coverage by paying self-employment tax. This applies if your net self-employment earnings are $400 or more.